This post contains affiliate links. Which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. Read the full disclosure here.
When it comes to having a positive mindset, many people feel like it’s something that they either have or they don’t. However, this isn’t the case!
Developing a more positive mindset is actually something that can be learned and cultivated over time.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss some simple tips for how to develop a positive mindset that you can use to help improve your mindset each day. Along with the pros and cons, so you can decide which are worth your time and which to skip for now.
- #1 Morning Routines For A Positive Mindset
- #2 Giving Yourself Control Over Your Thoughts
- #3 How To Develop A Positive Mindset With Affirmations
- #4 Expressing Gratitude
- #5 Keeping A Positivity Journal
- #6 Practicing Forgiveness
- #7 Using Shadow Work
- #8 Practicing Self-Love & Self-Care
- Boost Your Positive Mindset By Choosing The Best Methods For You
#1 Morning Routines For A Positive Mindset
One of the best ways to develop a positive mindset is by starting your day with a morning routine.
A morning routine can be anything from writing in a journal to practicing meditation or yoga.
The important thing is that it helps you start the day in a positive way and sets the tone for the rest of the day.
Morning Routine Ideas You Can Try:
Here are some morning routine ideas that can help you create a positive mindset, just keep in mind what matters is how it makes YOU feel:
- Wake up early and take some time for yourself to relax and enjoy your quiet time.
- Drink a glass of water and eat a nutritious breakfast.
- Take care of your appearance, whether it’s keeping things simple or spending a little extra time to pamper yourself.
- Look after your health by going for a walk, working out at the gym, or doing some yoga.
- Take some time each morning for journaling to reflect, give thanks, or set your goals for the day.
Pros & Cons Of Using A Morning Routine To Boost Positivity
- Starts the day in a positive way that sets the tone for the rest of the day.
- Flexible as it can include anything from writing in a journal to practicing meditation or yoga.
- It can help you to get organized, focused, and start your day with a sense of purpose.
- Some people find it hard to wake up early and take time for themselves.
- It can be difficult to stick to a morning routine if it’s not something you naturally enjoy doing.
#2 Giving Yourself Control Over Your Thoughts
When it comes to your thoughts, you may feel like you’re at the mercy of them.
Sometimes you may feel like your thoughts come out of nowhere, and you have no control over them. However, this isn’t always true!
You have a great deal of control over your thoughts, and by understanding this, you can learn how to develop a positive mindset.
Because when you understand that you have control over your thoughts, you can start to take back control of your life.
You can even begin to choose which thoughts you want to entertain and which ones you want to let go of.
Of course, it’s often easier said than done, as this takes practice and patience. But eventually, you’ll be able to train your mind to think more positively.
Pros & Cons Of Giving Yourself Control Of Your Thoughts
- You have more control over your life.
- You can choose which thoughts to entertain and which ones to let go of.
- It can be difficult to take back control of your thoughts because knowing how to do it can be difficult.
- Thoughts can come out of nowhere, and we feel like we have no control over them.
- It takes practice and patience, but eventually, you’ll be able to train your mind to think more positively.
#3 How To Develop A Positive Mindset With Affirmations
One way to take back control of your thoughts is by using affirmations.
Affirmations are statements you repeat to yourself daily that help you focus on what you want rather than what you don’t want.
They are a powerful way to change your mindset because they help plant the seeds for new beliefs.
Here are some examples of affirmations:
- I am in charge of my own happiness.
- I am capable and competent.
- I am worthy of love and respect.
If you’d like even more affirmation ideas that you can use yourself, then check out these 54 positive affirmations that you can use as cards or stickers.
Pros & Cons Of Using Positive Affirmations For A Positive Mindset
- Affirmations help to plant the seeds for new beliefs.
- They can help you focus on what you want rather than what you don’t want.
- They are a powerful way to change your mindset.
- It can be difficult to stick to affirmations if they are not something that comes naturally to you.
- They can feel obscure and hard to create from scratch (in which case getting done-for-you affirmations like these can be a huge help.)
#4 Expressing Gratitude
One of the best ways to learn how to develop a positive mindset is by expressing gratitude for the good things in your life.
When you take the time to be grateful, you open yourself up to receive more good things.
Gratitude is a powerful emotion that has many benefits, both mentally and physically. It can help boost your mood, make you feel more positive, and even improve your health.
The easiest way to express gratitude is by writing down what you are grateful for each day in a journal or on a list.
You can even use a dedicated gratitude journal designed to help you generate ideas if you feel like you’d struggle to write something every day.
Or, if you’d prefer a more direct approach, you can also express gratitude verbally by telling friends and family members what you are thankful for.
Regardless of your methods, by regularly expressing gratitude, you’ll start to see a change in your attitude and outlook on life.
Pros & Cons Of Using Gratitude To Improve Your Mindset
- It can help boost your mood and even improve your health.
- Expressing your gratitude can be a simple 5-minute habit that can fit into even the busiest of schedules.
- It’s inexpensive, making it easy for anyone to maintain.
- It can be difficult to stick to if you struggle to come up with ideas to be grateful for.
- When done wrong, it can make you feel like you need to be grateful for everything.
- Ingenuine gratitudes can be harmful and encourage a negative mindset instead.
#5 Keeping A Positivity Journal
A positivity journal is a notebook where you only write down things that make you happy or positive every day.
When you keep a positivity journal, you deliberately fill your mind with positive thoughts and emotions.
This can have a powerful effect on your mindset, as over time, it will start to drown out negative thoughts and emotions.
The best part is that keeping a positivity journal is easy and doesn’t require much time or effort.
All you need to do is write down at least three things that made you feel happy or positive.
It could be something as simple as:
- Enjoying a good cup of coffee.
- Spending time with your fur babies.
- Getting a compliment from a friend.
- Reading an inspirational quote.
Eventually, keeping a positivity journal like this will become second nature. You may even find yourself looking forward to writing in it each day.
Pros & Cons Of Using a Positivity Journal
- Can help you focus on the positives in your life to improve your mood and make you feel more optimistic.
- It’s flexible as you can customize it based on your preferences and make it your own.
- It’s easy and doesn’t require much time or effort if you want to make things simple.
- Can help you deal with difficult situations better.
- Its flexibility can make it seem overwhelming when getting started, as there’s no set path.
- It can get complicated if you try to do too much all at once.
- You need to be careful of toxic positivity as it’s easy to feel like you should ignore and bottle up all your negative feelings and thoughts. (You shouldn’t.)
#6 Practicing Forgiveness
When we forgive others, we release ourselves from the chains of anger and resentment that keep us locked in a negative state of mind.
Forgiveness doesn’t mean that what happened was okay. It simply means that you choose to let go of the anger and resentment.
You’re freeing yourself from the past and giving yourself permission to move on with your life.
This can be liberating and empowering, and over time it will help you change your attitude and outlook on life.
The best part is that forgiving others is not just good for you mentally, it’s also good for your physical health. Forgiving someone can reduce stress levels, improve cardiovascular health, and even increase lifespan.
So if you are struggling with a negative mindset, consider practicing forgiveness as a way to start moving forward.
It may be difficult at first, but over time having a positive mindset will become easier and bring you greater peace and happiness.
Pros & Cons Of Practicing Forgiveness For A Positive Mindset
- Can reduce stress levels
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Can increase lifespan
- Helps to move on from the past
- Empowers and liberates you
- It can be extremely difficult to achieve.
- Requires time and lots of effort to do correctly.
- Easily confused with the idea that you need to forgive everything or that forgiveness means what happened was “okay”.
#7 Using Shadow Work
Shadow Work is the process of exploring your dark side, the parts of yourself that you don’t like or that you keep hidden away. It can be a difficult process, but it can also be incredibly rewarding.
When you do shadow work, you are giving yourself permission to explore all aspects of yourself – the good, the bad, and the ugly.
This can be a powerful way to boost your self-esteem and help you to develop a more positive mindset as a whole.
The best part is that Shadow Work doesn’t disregard the importance of all emotions, even the negative ones. By incorporating many of the above methods into a holistic approach, it can help you achieve greater peace and balance by allowing you to be a more authentic version of yourself.
There are many different ways and exercises you can use for Shadow Work, but one of the most common ways is to do journaling.
Often this involves following Shadow Work prompts to guide your writing, as analyzing your subconscious shadow self is incredibly difficult otherwise.
For example, a simple Shadow Work prompt may ask you to start by writing down all the things that make you feel ashamed, guilty, or embarrassed. Once you have written them down, you’re then asked to start thinking about why those things make you feel that way.
But this is just Shadow Work in its simplest form. It’s a deep and thought-provoking process that takes time to achieve results like a more positive mindset.
This is why using a Shadow Work journal that’s packed with detailed guidance and lots of prompts can be a huge asset to your journey.
If you’re interested in starting Shadow Work for yourself but don’t know where to start, then check out this Shadow Work for beginners guide here.
Pros & Cons of Using Shadow Work For A Positive Mindset
- Boosts self-esteem, compassion, and self-love.
- A thought-provoking process that will help you dig deep into self-discovery
- Powerful for helping to heal trauma and the sense that you’re stuck.
- Allows for exploration of all aspects of the self.
- Doesn’t disregard the importance of negative emotions and expressing yourself.
- It can be difficult and overwhelming to get started.
- Requires time and effort to do correctly.
- You can feel uncomfortable and upset as you deal more with negative emotions.
- It’s easily misunderstood as only dwelling on the negative.
#8 Practicing Self-Love & Self-Care
Caring for yourself is not selfish – it’s necessary.
When you take care of yourself both physically and emotionally, you create a foundation of strength and resilience that can help you deal with the challenges life throws your way.
Self-love is about accepting yourself for who you are, flaws and all. It is about knowing that you are worthy of love and respect, no matter what.
Self-care is about taking the time to do things that make you feel good. It’s about giving yourself the space to relax, recharge, and rejuvenate.
Practicing self-love and self-care regularly creates a sense of inner peace and well-being that helps you stay positive even during tough times.
Self-Love & Self-Care Ideas To Boost Your Positive Mindset
So how do you actually go about practicing self-love and self-care?
Here are a few ideas:
- Get enough sleep: Most adults need around eight hours of sleep per night. Consider going to bed and waking up at the same time each day to help regulate your body’s natural sleep rhythm.
- Eat healthy: Eating nutritious foods helps our bodies to function at their best. Make sure to include plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in your diet.
- Exercise: Exercise releases endorphins, which have mood-boosting effects. A moderate amount of exercise is the key to maintaining your mental health and well-being.
- Take breaks: When feeling overwhelmed, it’s important to take a step back and give yourself a break. Whether it’s taking a few minutes to meditate or going for a walk outdoors, taking some time for yourself can help you to recenter and refocus.
- Connect with loved ones: Spending time with the people you care about is one of the best ways to boost your mood.
- Do something that you love: Whether it’s a hobby, enjoying some sunshine, or drinking your favorite brew.
Pros & Cons of Self-Love & Self-Care For A Positive Mindset
- Helps you to stay positive during tough times.
- Creates a sense of inner peace and well-being.
- Nurtures self-acceptance and compassion.
- Boosts self-esteem and confidence.
- It can be time-consuming, especially if you already feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day.
- Costs can range a lot, like a spa day could be expensive, whereas reading a book isn’t.
- Often the first thing to be sacrificed when you’re tired, stressed, and overwhelmed.
- Can create a sense of guilt as sometimes spending time on ourselves can feel selfish. (It’s not!)
Boost Your Positive Mindset By Choosing The Best Methods For You
These are many ways you can learn how to develop a positive mindset. But no matter which of these methods you choose to practice, the most important thing is that you:
- Commit to them.
- Make them a regular part of your life.
- And most importantly, experiment to find the best methods for YOU.
When we take care of ourselves both physically and emotionally, we create a foundation of strength and resilience that can help us deal with the challenges life throws our way.
The easiest method from this list for beginners to get started with is probably morning routines. Starting your day off on the right foot can set the tone for the rest of the day, and it’s a great way to start practicing self-love and self-care too.
And remember, having a positive mindset is something that must be cultivated over time. It doesn’t happen overnight.
But by following these tips and incorporating some or all of them into your daily routine, you’ll be well on your way to achieving greater peace and happiness in your life. Thank you for reading!